If you and your honey have VIP taste when you travel, you’ll be in good company at these romantic resorts. All of them have made headlines for hosting celebrity couples, from Brad and Angie at Caneel Bay Resort in the U.S Virgin Islands to, most recently, former New York governor Eliot Spitzer and his girlfriend at Half Moon in Jamaica (where he either did or did not suck her toes in a hot tub, depending on whether you believe the New York Post). So what makes these resorts special enough for the likes of Hollywood royalty (and in some cases, royalty royalty)? We’ll give you the inside scoop.
When Eliot Spitzer and girlfriend Lis Smith vacationed together at Half Moon, Jamaica in early January, they made headlines for some racy hot tub behavior (specifically, Spitzer was reported to have sucked on Smith’s toes). The report turned out to be unreliable, but we imagine the pair had a lovely time at Half Moon even without the toe-sucking. The 400-acre resort has two miles of pristine beach, a dolphin lagoon, horse stables, and a spectacular spa; it’s fit not only for American political royalty (JFK and Jackie stayed here long before Spitzer) but actual royalty (Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Philip, and The Prince of Wales have also visited). Read More »
Mixing business with pleasure? Trying to trade your business suit for a bathing suit? As much as we love getting away from the office, it’s sometimes hard to think about all the work piling up back at our desks. (Emphasis on sometimes.) So for those instances when we need to check our emails or send out those TPS reports while getting some R&R, these gorgeous tropical retreats have us covered, and with more than just a phone jack. Whether they feature ample meeting spaces, dedicated business staff, or any number of other great work offerings, these properties are sure to please any productive vacationers, so you’ll have just the right mix of business with pleasure. Enjoy your bizcation!
We'd trade in our desks for this setup any day
Rio is both a beautiful beach getaway and a mountain-lined urban hub, so it’s no wonder that many of the city’s hotels try to appeal to both business and leisure guests simultaneously. The Porto Bay Rio Internacional Hotel is one of these hotels. Located directly across from the Copacabana beach and offering a stocked, 24-hour business center, the property also boasts some pretty incredible ocean views from the fitness center, meeting rooms, and restaurants, so you never really have to tear yourself away from the beach to get Johnson those TPS reports.
Read More »
Lobby at The Jade Hotel, New York City
1. FACT OR FAKEOUT? The boutique Jade Hotel may only be a few months old, but it has already has some pretty famous visitors. Last week, Cameron Diaz was spotted getting drinks at the bar and flirting with strangers.
2. FACT OR FAKEOUT? The Westin St. John is one of three Starwood properties that make up the first shift towards the brand reducing its carbon footprint worldwide. The new green initiative will include the installation of high-tech water savers that will reduce wasted water at the hotel by 50 percent.
3. FACT OR FAKEOUT? Wyndham Hotel Group added Singapore to its destination list this week with the opening of a Days Inn and a Ramada.
4. FACT OF FAKEOUT? The general manager of the Lancaster London, along with numerous other volunteers, scaled up the side of the hotel in order to raise money for Kickstart Programme.
5. FACT OR FAKEOUT? Room service is pricey no matter where you go, but in a recent study, TripAdvisor found that Denver and Dallas offer the best value as far as room service. Not surprisingly, New York City and Honolulu offered the worst.
Check out the answers after the jump!
Read More »
Before they can even think about taking up residence at the White House (or, in Barack’s case, renewing any magazine subscriptions), presidential candidates Barack Obama and Mitt Romney have to earn the comfy D.C. digs. Election season is heating up and the two have been on the campaign trail for months, spending night after night on the road in hotels across the country. And though their campaign accommodations may pale in comparison to one of the most famous addresses in the world, neither contender is losing any sleep at these luxe hotels that line the road to the White House.
The White House is up for grabs, and Romney and Obama are on on the road to Pennsylvania Avenue.
Photo Credit: Nicolas Briquet/ABACA/startraksphoto.com
OH MY GOD, we never thought it would happen! After all, Brad has pledged numerous times that he and Angelina would not marry until all Americans could legally tie the knot. But sometimes, love just can’t wait. So its official –the couple is engaged and Brangelina will become Mr. and Mrs. Smith, er, Pitt, presumably sometime this summer. For the past seven years, they’ve been a Hollywood dream couple that we just knew would stay together forever. [Ed. note: Before them, it was Brad and Jen, but that's neither here nor there...] And whenever there’s a momentous occasion in Hollywood such as this, we like to take a look back at the moments that made it all happen…and of course, the hotels where all of those moments went down. Check out the hotels that led Brad and Angelina to the altar — or at least to their engagement — after the jump!
Read More »
Find out which hotels slash your savings! (Credit: iStock)
Guess what? Taxes are due. Today. And do we have any idea where our money goes? Nope! In a similar vein, some of the most luxurious (and not so luxe) spots charge outrageous fees, additional ones that are tacked onto your original rate. And while we already scoped out three amazing island retreats that are fee-free, we wanted to also let you in on a few hotels that charge up the you-know-what. So before you settle on staying in one of these hotels, learn where your money is really going.
Read More »
Lobby at the Luxor Hotel & Casino; Las Vegas, NV
1. FACT OR FAKEOUT: The Excalibur Hotel and Casino and Luxor Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas are planning to build an underground, well-lit tunnel between themselves to help “intoxicated” guests make it safely back to their rooms.
2. FACT OR FAKEOUT: The Andaz Wall Street now features an “Accountant in Residence”, whom can help guests file their taxes free of charge. (Of course, you are paying the nightly room fee, though.)
3. FACT OR FAKEOUT: Music legend Stevie Wonder just announced his new tour will start at Bolongo Bay Beach Resort, in St. Thomas.
4. FACT OR FAKEOUT: The Millenium Hilton in New York City is installing a power plant inside the actual hotel to help reduce its energy consumption.
5. FACT OR FAKEOUT: The price for renting a cabana at the Venetian Resort Hotel Casino’s Azure pool for one weekend is the same as that of the most expensive suite available in the hotel.
Check out the answers after the jump!
Read More »
Some crave steep snowy peaks. Others bask in a bustling metropolis. And some want a labyrinth of reefs, streaked in bright blues, yellows, and reds, swarming with bizarrely beautiful undersea creatures. For those aqua-oriented souls, we’ve compiled a list of Oyster’s top scuba diving destinations (note: more to come in the near future!).
Don’t let Costa Rica’s small size fool you. It’s packed with spectacular marine life and an abundance of diving spots. Its beaches boast some of the sea’s most colorful creatures, both big and small. With cooler, nutrient-rich waters, divers often see dolphins, whale sharks, and humpback whales. If you’re feeling extra adventurous, Cocos Island, an uninhabited island more than 300 miles off the coast, is one of the world’s most-treasured diving spots, with oodles of Hammerhead, ray, and dolphin sightings. It’s normal to see dozens or even hundreds of these animals on every dive. If you’re traveling between December and mid-April, make sure to pack some exposure protection, as water temps have been known to dip relatively low.
Playa Virador at Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo
Where to stay:
Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo
JW Marriott Guanacaste Resort & Spa
Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa
Read More »
It can be hard for high-powered, hooked-up 21st century worker bees to truly relax on their vacations. But a vacation is no time to be checking your Blackberry on the beach. Whether you have trouble letting go of your of your tech-powered world, or are itching to escape it, these unplugged getaways help you recharge your batteries — no batteries required.
Tensing Pen, Jamaica
Opened in the ’70s as a tiny hippie hangout, this modest-size property has since grown into one of Negril’s top-rated resorts. The 17 cottages, restaurant, bar, pool, and small yoga studio and spa hut are built into the cliffs of Negril’s West End. The hotel adheres to an ethos of simple, back-to-nature living — there are no TVs, phones, or radios in the rooms, so that guests can focus on the rugged natural beauty and breathtaking views. Read More »
The Caribbean is home to spectacular beaches, many of them hidden away in secret spots most tourists will never find. But some of the best beaches are right on resort property. Take a look at our 10 favorite hotel beaches, and plan your ultra-convenient stay on some of the Caribbean’s nicest sand.
Caneel Bay, A Rosewood Resort, U.S. Virgin Islands
Built from a historic sugar plantation, this profoundly serene 166-room resort sits on 170 acres of a protected national park dotted with seven remote beaches. Even with a quaint pool and rustic rooms that lack TVs and phones, Caneel’s attentive service and unparalleled setting make it one of the Caribbean’s best resorts. Read More »