Prost! Oktoberfest attendees cheers in Munich. Credit: Nikada/iStockPhoto
Sixteen days, over five million people, and — most importantly – seven million liters of beer: That’s Oktoberfest in Munich. What began as a wedding celebration in 1810 [Ed. note: Sounds like a fun wedding!] has grown into the world’s largest fair, attracting locals and tourists to the Bavarian city every September and October to down tasty traditional treats followed by long swigs of brew. Sound amazing? Yea, it’s pretty hard to beat. But nonetheless, it has inspired copycats all over the world, and they’re doing a pretty darn good job at keeping up. From Santiago to Hong Kong, Bavarian aficionados have hosted their own Oktoberfests for years: Some are traditional, some not so much, but they all harken back to their Munich origins in one way or another. So if you can’t make it to Germany this year, don’t fret. We have the scoop on the most wunderbar Oktoberfests across the globe — and the best hotels for sleeping off those delicious Bavarian brews. Prost! Read More »
We all like to get loose on vacation, and sometimes that means bringing strangers back to our rooms for afterhours fun (no judgments here, folks). Though many of our steamy hotels make for great couples retreats, a few of our favorites stand out for their one-night-only perks. All of these sexy spots offer up comfy beds and free breakfast, just in case your date — what was their name again? — happens to stick around for bacon and eggs. So whether you’re in the mood for some hot and heavy tub action or a fireplace to cozy up next to — plus the grub to soak up last night’s hangover — each of these hotels offer a little something extra for your perfect one-night stand.
WANTED: A Sure Thing
Bathroom in The Two Bedroom Suite at the Tortuga Bay
- Ideal Hunting Grounds: Tortuga Bay — Dominican Republic
- At Tortuga Bay, it’s hard not to get laid. All suites and villas at Tortuga Bay have in-room Jacuzzis, which are converted into private love tubs each night at turndown, complete with scented rose petals and lit candles. The resort also hosts its share of weddings, where bridesmaids and drunk singles are practically begging to go home with whom — or what — ever. And if for some reason, the Jacuzzi and wedding party fall through, prostitution is in fact legal in the Dominican Republic.
Read More »
The One-Bedroom Suite at the Swissotel Sydney; Sydney, Australia
1. FACT OR FAKEOUT? The Swissotel Sydney is now offering discounted rates for guests who arrive in a hybrid car.
2. FACT OR FAKEOUT? Saudi Princess Maha al-Sudari left a $7+ million bill unpaid at the Shangri-La Hotel Paris (and it’s not in her plans to settle it).
3. FACT OR FAKEOUT? The Goring in London just launched the “Bath Menu”, which lets guests choose their favorite scents from a selection of Molton Brown toiletries.
4. FACT OR FAKEOUT? The Lords South Beach hotel has sued the Hotel On Rivington in New York for making its lobby a carbon copy of the Lords’ foyer.
5. FACT OR FAKEOUT? The “Little Legends Package” at The Beverly Hills Hotel includes a “Red Carpet Arrival” for children, complete with sunglasses and a boa for girls, and a top hat for boys.
Check out the answers after the jump! Read More »
Are you an active traveler? Or perhaps like to get off the literal beaten path when on vacation? Now you can stay in shape and get in some R&R on your next vacation with these hot hotel services.
1. Waterfall Hiking in Kauai, Hawaii
We'd hike 500 miles for this view!
Only a short drive from the head of the Na Pali Coast trail, Hanalei Colony offers easy hiking access and rare oceanfront views on the breathtaking route. This strenuous hike on the Na Pali Coast is eight miles round trip, but it’s well worth the sweat: After the first leg of the journey, you’ll get to cool off in a natural pool beneath the 100-foot-high Hanakapiai Falls. And as with most nature climbs, it’s completely free.
Read More »
We already shared the scoop on vacations that could maybe, kinda kill you, but we have a brand-new batch of spots that practically scream danger. And while not typical of a “relaxing vacay,” these retreats are sure to get your adrenaline pumping. Catch up on your thrills by visiting one of these terrifying (but beautiful!) destinations.
Dive Off a Cliff
Cliff Diving at the Caves Hotel, Jamaica
- Where to Do It: The Caves, Jamaica
- Why It’s Killer: Set along Negril’s western-edge, The Caves’ multitude of natural rock formations are perfect for cliff diving — at three or thirty feet. Arguably Jamaica’s most romantic escape (for adults only), the Caves’ 11 unique, private cottages and suites are tucked along lush garden paths and dramatic seaside cliffs (there’s no beach). So sit back, relax, and let loose!
Seek out more incredible thrills after the jump!
Read More »
We already told you guys about our incredible new iPad app — you know, the one with interactive maps, tons of destinations, and collections with vacation ideas ripe for picking. But with the launch of Apple’s latest iPad — which already sold over 3 million units in its first weekend on shelves – we had to quickly make some improvements to make our app iPad3-ready. Curious how we souped it up in time for the iPad3′s release? A lot of coffee, nail biting, and well, tons of work. Check out the improvements we made after the jump!
Update: Our latest version was so impressive that the App Store asked to feature it — which we did. The best part? Having a “featured” app can increase our site’s organic traffic by three or four times as much!
Read More »